Friday, April 20, 2012

Mixed Intervals

So I am keeping speed work in play during the taper. I have lessened the amount however. I did some mixed intervals, 1x2K @ HM 90 sec reco, 1x1mile @ 10K, 90 reco, 1x1K @ 5K, 90 reco, 1x1/2mile @ 3K.....1 mile warm and cool. 5.8 total in 53:13.
   Feeling pretty good. I may wind up taking two days off in a row. No worries. I feel ready to run but I am second guessing my training and taper. Of course that's probably normal. I am confident yet I still wonder how I will respond after 20 miles. I have decided to go out with the intention of breaking 4 hours. According to all the calculators I should be able to break 4. A 1:52.00 translates into a 3:50 to 3:54. So I should be able to do it! It all depends on my strategy and ability to maintain in later miles.
  I am planning on starting 10-15 seconds a mile slower than goal pace-9:20-9:25- then around 2 miles I will kick it in to a little faster than goal pace-8:55-9:05. My hope is to run 20 miles in 3 hours or less then hold on for dear life! Peace!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Love mixed intervals, sure does break up the monotony of the same thing over and over! So good to hear you're feeling good...you so GOT that sub-4!!!!

Sauna

      This is the most wonderful time of year! I love the heat and humidity! Yet I still get out earlier due to my advanced age! 4.4 miles! ...