Thursday, November 6, 2008

I AM RUNNER
We had real strong storms during the night. This has been a very wet year here in the Ozarks.
Nearly all the leaves are now down and it is raking time, plus deer season is close upon us.
My body feels real good. My muscles have pretty much recovered, but interestingly enough the sciatica is back just like it was prior to the race?!
Today I will try a short, easy run, with extensive stretching and core strengthening afterwards.
I have two target races; "The Polar Bear Run" in Feb, and the "Frisco Highline Half Marathon" in March. My training program starts Nov. 17th.
I had an opportunity to stand for the running world yesterday. I was acknowledged by a great leader in our community, in front of a large group of very fine men, as one who had recently completed a Marathon. Of course I didn't consider it a big deal, but they did.
As usual there were jokes about themselves not being able to run a marathon, but I was proud of the accomplishment.
They need to know that it isn't just a physical accomplishment. A marathon is a great test of character, too. It is a significant event, taxing the body and testing the will.
I think back to the race; as I was running the last miles, passing people who had decided to walk on in, there is even a difference of mentality during the race. I was pushing myself beyond my limits, others were to "their limit" and simply finishing. That's my perception anyway. Here's a quote to further this thought: Rob de Castella:"The marathon's about being in contention over the last 10K. That's when it's about what you have in your core. You have run all the strength, all the superficial fitness out of yourself, and it really comes down to what's left inside you. To be able to draw deep and pull something out of yourself is one of the most tremendous things about the marathon." I am runner! I will discover the greatness in me! I will win the prize of knowing I left it all on the course when I'm finished. I still remember the young blond lady (never got her name) that said "I was trying to catch you." It's a race!!! It ain't a jog! Life is a race! It ain't a jog! Press beyond your limits and discover the greatness within! It IS in you!

No comments:

Sauna

      This is the most wonderful time of year! I love the heat and humidity! Yet I still get out earlier due to my advanced age! 4.4 miles! ...