Saturday, March 21, 2009

Momentous Occasion

Last night was a momentous occasion. My Sweetheart spotted my first gray hair!! O well..such is life. Gray hairs are a sign of great wisdom, or stress, or both. Or just flat out aging! Anyway, I won't let it be a downer I'm young at heart.
Today the rains have come. Since the streets are flooded and I'm very sore from yesterdays effort I decided on the treadmill. 6.3 miles in an hour at 1 degree incline. I felt great regardless of the gray hair(s) (I'm sure there are more to come).
I totaled 40 miles this week. As I was tread milling I was thinking about this next weeks training plan and my race strategy for the marathon. My goal is to break the four hour barrier.
Next week I will run 10 on Monday, 3 on Tuesday with some strider's, 8 on Wednesday, 5 on Thursday, rest Friday, Half Marathon race Saturday. This race WILL BE an all out race effort, bookended by two miles making it a long run.
It will be a motivator. The marathon requires a cause. A motivator.
The first Marathoner, Phidippides, had a cause: To declare Victory!!
That's my cause! Victory over the four hour barrier. So the half will be a good test of my sincerity for the cause. I'm thinking I can run a 1:50 half?
I'm still working on a race plan for the Marathon. I will post later on this and hope to get input from you guys. Well it's off to watching hoops action, have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Marlene said...

You're only as young as you feel!

Sounds like a great plan for next week. I think you're on your way to a sub-4 marathon.

Love to Run said...

"That's my cause! Victory over the four hour barrier." Shouldn't you be saying Victory UNDER the the four hour barrier? LOL

Hope you can take some time off your Pastoral duties tomorrow to watch Marquette beat Mis . . .I mean watch the Marquetee/Missouri game. Let it be a good game.

Anonymous said...

Awesome plan for the week; you can definitely do this!

Bob A said...

Gray hairs on a runner just mean you're outrunning the pigment.

Aron said...

i have quite a few grey hairs ;)

great job on the week and good luck on the half this weekend!

Sauna

      This is the most wonderful time of year! I love the heat and humidity! Yet I still get out earlier due to my advanced age! 4.4 miles! ...