Friday, June 5, 2009

Track day thwarted!

Here I was at the track. All primed with a 1.5 mile warm-up, a good mental plan, body feels ready, I turn to the start and here come the kids! A mass of them! I forgot! Summer school is in session. I had no choice but to vacate. So I drove a ways looking for the flattest possible section of side streets to do my speed work. I settled on an area and warmed-up again. This was not a flat segment but road miles rarely are in the Ozarks. I did a 7:23 mile and I followed with continuing the effort for another quarter but dropped to an 8:10 pace. Then I cooled down trying not to be disparaged. I was really ready to lower my mile time today! O well, you know the saying "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." I was thinking today, "What if I could string three of these miles together? It'd be like old times!! Hope your weekend is great! Peace!

4 comments:

Marlene said...

Bummer that your track plan was foiled, but at least you still got your workout in. Nice time!

Coachhrd said...

Mark, sometimes you can find trails in the parks that have mile markers to give you that same track feel. I've done that in the past.

Beth said...

Pesky kids! I have that problem at my local track sometimes. At least here I have other, flat options. Glad you toughed it out and got a great workout in. Your splits are so impressive!

kara said...

I'm heading down to the school track now. It's Saturday - so should be safe ; )

Sauna

      This is the most wonderful time of year! I love the heat and humidity! Yet I still get out earlier due to my advanced age! 4.4 miles! ...