Thursday, January 22, 2009

Whoa Nellie!


If asked why I run? It's simple: Quality of life! Clearer thinking, better appetite, better sleeping, better relations...more energy...etc, etc...I feel for the sedentary.
Today the weather was fantastic! South breezes and 60's, with partly sunny skies. What a delight! This is supposed to be a rest week for me but today I just felt good so I went with it...I had to keep pulling in the reins so I wouldn't negate the rest week but wow! This is the best run I've had in a while. I put in 6.4 in 56:16.28-8:47's. The last mile being in 8:08. What gives? I have to classify this as a fast continuous run. So there's my answer to speed work during a rest week. Just go with how you feel, pulling in the reins a little.
I had an interesting experience on the run. During the last mile, where I was bustin' it, I observed quite a large group of people in the middle of the road about 2-3 tenths up the way.
As I neared I realized it was middle schoolers just dropped off by the bus. The boys were in a large group of about seven, and you know boys, loud, fun loving, and raging with hormones! They were obviously enthralled with a girl who was 50 yards ahead and hurrying home.
As I passed them I acknowledged them by saying "Hi, boys," the ringleader yelled back at me "you wanna play football with us?" I replied, "I'm too old, you guys would hurt me," they all laughed and returned their attention forward.
Great day on the roads, hope yours was as well. Peace

1 comment:

Donald said...

Hi - Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hooray for warm weather in January! That's a definite quality of life thing for me.

Sauna

      This is the most wonderful time of year! I love the heat and humidity! Yet I still get out earlier due to my advanced age! 4.4 miles! ...