Tuesday, September 1, 2009

" I like to!"

So the proverbial question was asked...again; " Why are you running?" This time is was a little boy walking along the road with his Grandpa. He's probably 4-5 yrs old. I was polite and kind as I passed them, I heard the Grandpa say "why don't you ask him", then I heard "Why are you running?" I answered (considering this was a child) "because I like to" his Grandpa turned to him and said, "you like to run, don't you?" the child said "yep!"
As I reflected on my response I examined the word like. I was reminded of that wonderful movie "Chariots of Fire" and the great story of two runners. One, The missionary Eric Liddell, he said something in that film that I connected with when I saw it in 1981. "God made me fast and when I run I feel His pleasure." I love that!!!
Being a runner requires discipline and perseverance, too. This develops character! I like to run!
Today was the long run. Remember this is hill country. I named a hill today.."Cry baby hill". Every time I run it I whine! I wonder, if I survive this training cycle, what will happen when I race on the flats? Could be surprising! I didn't toast out until around 15 miles. Even then I was able to keep a survival shuffle going. Kinda encouraged?!
Totals-18.74 miles/ 3:37:06/ 11:35's.

4 comments:

Marlene said...

Great story! I've nevr seen Chariots of Fire... I think I'll need to rent that one soon!

Great run today!

Meg Runs said...

Ok, I really like the idea of naming the hills! This will surely keep me occupied on my next long run, thanks!

rob horton said...

keep enjoying those mile bro!

Running, kind of. said...

I need to name some of my hills! I like the answer you gave the kiddo. I think it is great for us runners to be out there and setting an example for kids, who knows when they are watching and wondering!

A flat course might catch fire under your feet! Better choose your races wisely! ;)

Amanda

4 miles 4 kids

    So a perfect day to race! 60's, overcast, breezy. The field was small and club racers were sparse!   I was probably the only guy i...