Monday, July 7, 2014

Drive + Discipline= success

   Drive-the high motivation that propels runners out the door. Often this drive runs us right into injury or burn-out. I've experienced and seen this on many occasions. To run consistently drive is essential but it must be regulated by discipline. Do you feel tired? Rest! Do you have pain? Rest! Often a rest day is the best workout! Many a time I've been dressed and ready for a run only to find myself asleep on the couch...it was a nap I needed. Over 30+ years of running I have learned to regulate my drive with discipline. The discipline to rest, or run slower, or cross train. Today I did this. I regulated my drive by running slower in the heat. And simply relaxing and enjoying the moment. 109 minutes of pure bliss! It is good to still be able to run!

No comments:

Sauna

      This is the most wonderful time of year! I love the heat and humidity! Yet I still get out earlier due to my advanced age! 4.4 miles! ...